Symbol of an ancestral wine tradition dating back to the Gallo-Roman era and reaching its peak towards the end of the eighteenth century, the vineyard of Montmartre was founded in 1933 thanks to the extraordinary project of a few men of good will engaged in local associations in the protection of the urban land and supported by the municipality of Paris.
The vineyard, known as Clos Montmartre, is located on the slope of Montmartre in the 18th arrondissement of Paris, France. Owned by the city of Paris, it is run by the Comité des Fêtes et d’Actions Sociales de Montmartre – Paris 18ième. Founded in the 12th century and run by the inhabitants of Montmartre, it brings together several wine names, "Le Clos Berthaud", "La Goutte d'Or" and "Il Piccolo". At the beginning, the wine production of Clos Montmartre was reserved for local consumption, now the vineyard of Montmartre has 1800 vineyards, with 30 different types of vines. Every year in October “La Fête des Vendanges” is organised to celebrate the annual harvest. The wine produced is then auctioned off, and the proceeds are allocated to the social works of the Association of Montmartre.