The Vigna del Gallo in the Botanical Garden in Palermo contains 95 autochthonous vines, an invaluable heritage of Sicilian viticulture. It is a tangible testimony to the island's biodiversity. The Vigna del Gallo project was launched in October 2018 by the Museum System of the University of Palermo and by the Consorzio di tutela vini Doc Sicilia, with the collaboration of the Department of Agriculture of the University of Palermo..
The Vigna del Gallo is a space of about 200 square meters. It hosts autochthonous vines (among which Grillo, Nero d’Avola, Frappato, Perricone, Catarratto, Inzolia) and grape relics (Prunella, Muscaredda, Corinto bianco, Cutrera, Zuccaratu, Visparola). Since its establishment in 2012, the Sicilian Doc has been committed to the protection of values of cultivation and the sustainable production and in the promotion of studies and initiatives for the defense of the vines that populate the "Sicilian wine-growing continent". The Vigna del Gallo has returned to life in a portion of what was once the extensive vineyard purchased by the Royal Academy of Studies of Palermo in the plan of Sant'Erasmo, and belonged to Duke Ignazio Vanni d'Archirafi, where he then developed the Botanical Garden founded in 1789. The Botanical Garden of Palermo is one of the most important Italian academic institutions. It is an enormous open-air museum, boasting over two hundred years of activity that have also allowed the study and dissemination, in Sicily, Europe and throughout the Mediterranean basin, of five thousand plant species, many originating in tropical and subtropical regions. The peculiarity of this garden is represented today by the great variety of species housed here, which makes it a place full of expressions of different flowers.